Thursday, January 2, 2014

About Me

My name is Lisa.  I am 37 years old and living in Indiana, United States.  I was diagnosed with APL (Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia) early in 2013.  I am in remission, but undergoing maintenance therapy.  2013 was a year of warrior training.  I went through so much.  Cancer is awful, and even though I know I had it easy compared to most other cancer patients, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy.  My cancer wreaked havoc on my whole body, inside and out.  I felt so sick.  My teeth hurt, my body bruised by a simple touch, my stomach and digestive system acted like I had a stomach bug.  I had the heaviest period of my life (gross!).  Going through treatment wasn't easier...chemotherapy can make you very sick, and the pills (all the meds) can cause other issues.  I had my gallbladder removed, I came down with C-diff, I was always tired, I lost my taste buds and lost tons of weight.  After I started to feel better, I gained all my weight back plus an additional 25 pounds!  Now I'm dealing with obesity and trying to get my body healthy.  Your muscles atrophy and disappear.  I had to go to physical therapy for 6 weeks to get my strength back.  My mind is a bit shot.  I forget things, get lost easier, and ask people the same question over and over.  I'm hoping keeping my blogs will help my mind. 
Other than the cancer stuff, I am a substitute teacher and special education paraprofessional.  I am also a Realtor---two things I love doing but they are both very stressful.  I haven't gone back to work yet...but hopefully I will return part time very soon.  I need to get over my viral infection first and amp up my immune system. 
I have too many hobbies, I'm kinda a psychopath in this way.  I love to bake.  I mean really bake, not use box mixes and grow my own yeast kinda bake.  I just ordered a gnocchi board with the giftcard my boyfriend gave me for Christmas.  I can't wait to make homemade gnocchi!! 
I also love crafts of any sort.  I knit, sew, crochet, paint, draw, and design.  I have a weird sense of style, I try to dress classic preppy, but other stuff gets mixed in.  I have no concept of my age.  I don't feel 37, and I definitely don't look it.
My mom and dad raised me in a conservative manner.  My mother taught me to sew and always told me I could do anything I wanted.  I believed her and still do.  I try new stuff all the time...sometimes I love it and immerse my life in it and other times I don't.  But, I always try something that peaks my interest.
I was a vegetarian for 11 years-- when I was 18-29.  I don't know why I continued to eat meat when I started up again, and sometimes I feel guilty when I eat meat, but I still love veggie pizza and don't need to have meat in a meal.  I do love liver sausage, bologna, ham, and shrimp, though, more than I ever thought I could.
I don't have any children.  My boyfriend and I have been together for eight (I think) years.  I just moved in with him a couple months before the cancer.  I have a dog, his name is Frank.  He is from a local shelter, and they estimated his age around 2 years when I got him.  I have had him 3 years this past thanksgiving (we call it Franksgiving).  He is pug/beagle/mix  and hates strangers.  He really hates strangers.  He tolerates my niece, who is almost 2.  She is a ray of sunshine and I love seeing her.  She rarely calls me Aunt Lisa...mostly its Leesssaaaaahh!! 
Family is everything to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment